Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Bollywood, Spog, and Giant Bathtubs

Hello folks - Shannon here. As you may have gathered from the title of this post, lunchclub today (like most days) was filled with fascinating conversation. You know, I'm not so sure that this small, yet consistent gathering of rather common folks couldn't just solve some of our world's problems if given the opportunity. Perhaps this blog is the first step to really get our valuable thoughts out there into the larger society.

Claire & Lynn joined us briefly at the beginning as they shared with us some of Lynn's recent roommate woes. Apparently a former psychotic roommate of hers is now working to become a counselor. A few of us took issue with that. It was about this time that Ryan excitedly mentioned there was some fun-shaped pasta in his soup. We're not quite sure about Ryan.

The conversation soon turned to my own mail (not male) drama as of late. For some reason, I'm not receiving all of my mail, particularly several of my monthly bills. Apparently a collection agency has an incorrect address for me (though I'm not behind in any of my bills), but my husband & I can't seem to find someone who is actually willing to correct our address and solve the problem. The rest of the group seemed genuinely concerned had some very helpful tips for me. Ryan suggested I shorten my address, Jorge thought perhaps my identity has been stolen, and Liz decided that maybe it was actually me that was stealing someone else's identity. Stephen & Jorge both thought I should really get my credit report checked ASAP, and I'm pretty sure Deasy is going to have the whole thing solved before I get home tonight - she asked some very insightful questions. Oliver listened intently, then ran back to his office. What do you think - should I be nervous?

Somehow we moved on to the political world, discussing the recent elections in Israel & Venezuela. Stephen offered some great insight into current world leaders, as well as recapping a poll for us that ranked all of our American Presidents by popularity. Ryan soon posed the question, "What exactly does America have to offer the rest of the world?" Liz & Deasy decided celebrities are probably our biggest asset, so Jorge & Ryan thought perhaps we could start trading celebrities for oil. See what I mean? Solving the world's problems, right here at lunch club!



Hollywood brought us to Bollywood, and we tried to decipher where exactly the name came from. Deasy thought maybe it came from it's home city of Bombay (which apparently changed names recently - I must have missed that), which Stephen later confirmed for us through his awesome research skills. Somehow we jumped from Bollywood to space, as Stephen told us about a recent satellite crash somewhere in the universe. Apparently there are some problems with the excess of debris floating around now, to which I suggested the use of a giant magnet. I got laughed at. Come on guys - what's wrong with that? Liz also educated us a bit on "space junk" as we discussed the possibility of shipping off our garbage towards the sun so it will simply disintegrate. Jorge decided that was a bad idea as it would like produce too much "spog" (get it? smog - but in space? It was funny, ok?).



We closed out the lunch-time with a brief discussion on former presidents (I think this was still related to Stephen's poll) and some of the more obscure ones we never really learned much about. I mentioned the only thing I knew about President Taft was the fact that he was a very large man and once got stuck in a bathtub. Stephen informed us all that he actually had to have a custom tub made just for him because of his size. Jorge decided that must have been when the reflecting pool was built.



History, politics, space science (ok - maybe it's called rocket science?), identity theft - it's all in a day's work here in our little nondescript office building. Well, actually it happens during off-hours. Just think what we accomplish during the rest of the day!

1 comment:

meetingbetty said...

I would like to know if you guys are starving and in need of some federal assistance. It seems ass if you aren't eating on a regular basis. Or the far less likely option - you have an extreme lack of commitment to sharing your lives with those who care and need to peek in to the funny little world that takes place one hour a day in that conference room.