Tuesday, February 10, 2009

You have just died of dysentery!

Jorge here…

In resumption of the lunch club blog, I have decided to combine a couple of days’ worth to make it more interesting.

Monday

Talk started out about the Grammys. Consensus was that the performances were better than usual. I personally didn’t watch the Grammys (except for the Radiohead bit on YouTube), but I will take the groups word for it. We also deduced that the girl Chris Brown beat up was Rhianna. Seriously, what are the odds that he would be arrested and she would be in a “car accident” on the same day?

The drama of the Grammys then turned into drama in the office (or at least former employees who were very dramatic). I won’t go into details to protect the innocent. ;) We also decided there are varying degrees of dramaticness (I know it is not a word). The ultimate is, of course, Drama Queen. But there are those not so widely known degrees of drama personnel like Drama Peasant, Drama Serf, Drama Jester, and Shannon’s desire to be known as Drama Princess.

Ryan proceeded to tell of his lack of drama over the weekend. Apparently, a certain big city airport in the South does not mind if you were to drive right up to the control tower and hang out for a while. Ryan, Liz, and Liz’s husband drove around the airport trying to capture video of planes landing (without seeing one for an hour and a half). I indicated the planes were halted do to crazies wandering around the tarmac. Ryan thought it was pretty eerie that anyone could walk up and touch the control tower without any security stopping them.

Forgive me for not being good at transitions, but somehow the conversation steered into the Oregon Trail. Stephen then injected the thought about what it would be like if Oregon Trail similarities were included in sports related games. “Your Wide Received has just died from dysentery!” Another childhood game that was brought was MASH (the fortune-telling game children would play to determine your future house, spouse, status in life, etc.). Shannon and Lynn came to life in trying to explain the game to Ryan, who seemed to have interest in making the game make sense. He has been watching too much Lost.

Tuesday

Oliver attended the Grammys and told us the stories thereof. One of the highlights he mentioned was the Russian cab driver who appeared to have just stepped off the plane and straight into the cab. I will call him Vladdie the Cabbie since Oliver can’t remember his name. Vladdie the Cabbie has an obsession with AC/DC and Metallica…which was all he talked about. Oliver also was within spittin’ distance of Paris Hilton at some point in the night.

More Grammy talked ensued with which I have to say I blacked out because I don’t remember any of it…except that Claire and Liz were very eager to dish on the latest gossip and clothing choices of some performers (M.I.A.). Thanks to Stephen, also our multimedia resource, for providing the picture.




Ok, here is another transition fail. We eventually ended up on remembering past bad gifts some of us received from relatives. Shannon educated us on the department store that is Gottschalks. Most of us never heard of Gottschalks (which we made Shannon spell it several times…successfully I might add).

There you have it. Now I am going to go ice the joints in my fingers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! That was awesome. I'm so glad you included a recap of Monday since I wasn't there. I felt like I mostly got the gist of things. Also, my friend has a shirt that has a picture of a covered wagon and a slogan reading, "You have died of dysentary." Oregon Trail = Awesome. My favorite part was trying to cross the river but usually one of my oxen drowned.

Anonymous said...

I've always been a pretty good speller - thanks for the shout-out :-) And just FYI, I do believe Gottschalks is going out of business. More boxes are on the way!