Thursday, November 8, 2007

Denominations & Falafel

Today president Jorge was out sick... lunch club is never quite the same without him sitting at his regular place at the head of the table. Still, we tried to carry on.

So first, a little background. One of our favorite topics of recent (probably due to all the impending births) is names. Ever since Oliver admitted an interest in naming a future son of his "Blaze," he has suffered our merciless mockery. Seriously, it is a horse name.

Today's discussion began with our questioning of whether the alternate spelling of "Blaise" was more acceptable. As in 17th Century philosopher Blaise Pascal. And, as our Catholic constituency helpfully pointed out, there is a St. Blaise, patron saint of throat illnesses.

This led to an interesting conversation about the many different denominations of Christianity, which led to Ryan mentioning that his fiance's grandparents are Mennonite, and that at their local Wal-Mart you can find "parking" for your horse and buggy.



On the food front, Leigh had brought some falafel patties as part of her lunch, and after much pressing, convinced Ryan to try a bite. I asked him to take a minute and describe for us the experience.

First, it kind of looked like dung (no offense to Leigh, because I’m sure that’s how they are supposed to look). It was brown with a lot of bits and pieces of other items in it. I know, why would I eat anything that even looked like that? My answer to that is… well, I don’t know but I did, I guess, this was one of those rare occasions when I decided to try something new AND falafel just sounds fun. It was one of the weirdest feelings in my mouth (and it wasn’t like “a party in my mouth”). It was very dry and the more I chewed the less I could swallow causing things to just cycle from the left side of my mouth and then to the right and back again. I almost felt like I recycling center, separating all of the bits and pieces in my mouth before I could swallow them. Anyways, after I finished shuddering and shaking from the chills that were running through my body from the disgusting taste I was able to take a “swig” of Mountain Dew to remove the taste from my mouth. That’s about it for my experience with the falafel. Oh, and there was some sort of cucumber sauce which looked like ranch dressing… it didn’t help!


Thanks Ryan, that was informative.

And finally, the random find of the day, courtesy of Oliver: This story about a Japanese skirt that can transform into a coke can so one can hide from muggers. Yes, there are pictures.

Happy lunching!

Liz

6 comments:

Lunch Clubber said...

Ryan....while I am incredibly impressed that you would venture into such unknown food genres, I must ask...you would try falafel, but you won't even try an olive?? I can't begin to understand.....Lynn

MB Plummer said...

oh my gosh- this is hilarious.
you could publish the lunch club and make a bloody fortune. goodbye falafels, hello caviar!

Lunch Clubber said...

Lynn, I would try a falafel in efforts to impress my fiance. She always says I will never try anything, so this was it...

(Danae, if you read this I'm sorry but I may never try anything new again.)

Anonymous said...

Ryan, I must say I am impressed. So impressed that the next time I desperately want you to try something new(and you refuse as usual) I think I'll just conspire with Liz and see if she, along with the rest of the lunch clubbers, can persuade (pressure) you into trying it there :)

Lunch Clubber said...

Denae, I will absolutely help you in your efforts to get Ryan to try something new. Absolutely. --Lynn

Lunch Clubber said...

I hated to miss this episode of lunch club. Rest assured I should not miss many more since I have probably used up all of my sick time. -- Jorge