Monday, November 12, 2007

Just Another Manic Monday

Hello there. Just wanted to give our readers a little insight into a not-so-dull Monday Lunch Club. If I were to truly cover all of the many rabbit trails we took today, we'd both be here for awhile so I've decided to just hit a few of the high points.

Our faithful president Jorge was back today and almost healthy, so things got rolling pretty quickly. Marie was quite excited about a movie marathon she threw for herself this weekend, so the topics turned quickly to favorite movies, deep vs. feel-good movies (and whether or not people who prefer the latter really live in a "bubble"), not-so-favorite movies, wished-I-would-have-caught-the-edited-version movies, and of course some childhood favorites. Being one of few lunch club members who does not have a vast knowledge of movies and movie trivia, I did a lot of listening today.

Marie spent much of the hour throwing out titles and seeing what responses they would get. We learned Jorge's "Three B's" that suggest a quality film: Bombs, Blood, and Bad words. Ryan shared how his choice of entertainment vs. that of his fiance came up at a recent premarital counseling session. The group ran off on a slight tangent at that point (including an Icelandian wedding song), but we pulled it back together shortly.

Anne challenged Oliver's taste in movies, make some inferences that he might be a little shallow. Oliver protested, however, explaining that he simply likes to go away from a movie feeling like good has conquered evil...and he hates depressing endings. I tend to agree with Oliver - why go through unnecessary heart-wrenching turmoil?

We also learned that Marie once starred as a redneck's cheerleader in a country music video, and also that Deasy's husband has a giant chicken suit at home...we were afraid to ask too many questions.


Liz later posed the question of favorite childhood movies, which received some interesting responses. I (Shannon) quickly answered with my favorite - The Wizard of Oz. Stephen's was Star Wars, Lynn's was Beauty and the Beast, Jorge's was Rocky...and then it became a free-for-all as we all started shouting out some childhood favorites. At one point I got a little wound up about the fabulous Wild Hearts Can't be Broken (you can see the movie poster posted here in this blog) and might have even broke into song. Since no one joined me, I have decided to post a bit of the lyrics below:

On the BoardWalk in Atlantic City
Life will be peaches & cream.
Cindrella you will find your fella
Someone waiting for you...
In romantic, enchantic, Atlantic City...
Down by the old New Jersey shore!

This sudden outburst may have been why I was chosen to write the blog today, I'm not sure. Whatever the case, thanks for joining us for another exciting day of the lunch club!

~Shannon

1 comment:

Lunch Clubber said...

Wonderful summary Shannon! One other fun moment was our short little tangent on the Muppets, which has inspired me to go home and watch the Muppet Christmas Carol tonight, which happens to be my favorite movie. Oh, and also, I want you know that I was singing along to the Wild Hearts Can't be Broken song as I read it....you are not alone! --Lynn