Thursday, November 29, 2007

Politics and Drool

I guess it’s my turn again – Shannon, that is. Today’s lunch club had a unique feel as we gathered in Andre’s office and sat in a cozy circle on the floor. Our normal spot was overtaken by some very important meeting (only a couple clubbers were unfortunate enough to have to attend), but that didn’t stop the Lunch Club! As we found our spots on the floor, I removed my boots much to Jorge’s horror. I assured him that my feet don’t sweat, and therefore do not stink – but I don’t think he was comforted.

Our conversations today were all over the board once again. I kind of think that the Lunch Club is much like that well known children’s book If You Give a Mouse a Cookie....for example: we started talking about our evenings last night. I asked if anyone had watched the republican presidential debate (I had), which of course spurred a discussion about the next election…which evoked a question of whether or not a woman should/could ever be president (the main consensus was ‘no’ in case you were wondering)…which lead to a discussion as to what role Bill Clinton would play should Hillary be elected president…which lead to a really lame intern joke by Steven with a ph (sorry Steve-o, but it was pretty lame). Are you starting to see the similarities between us and the children’s book?

At some point the conversation turned to zombie movies which Ryan & Jorge discussed with fervor. Liz mentioned her recent disappointment in Stephen’s movie taste when he told her he thought the classic movie The Sandlot was (and I quote) “just okay.” A brief frenzy of disbelief/shock/horror broke out at that point, to which Jorge responded, “You’re killin’ me, Smalls!” Liz & Lynn thought perhaps Stephen’s lack of approval towards the film was perhaps due in part to something in his childhood…but they didn’t get much farther than that.

Before lunch officially ended, Anne brought up the exciting office topic of Secret Santa’s – which we are drawing for tomorrow. Oliver, Ryan, and myself have chosen not to participate this year and once Anne found out, we were interrogated. Ryan’s defense was his wedding – as always – and Oliver and I just tried to explain our dislike of this particular Holiday tradition. We don’t like trinkets – shopping for them or receiving them. Seems like a good enough reason to abstain, don’t you think? I’m not sure Anne was satisfied with that answer.

Before I wrap this up for the day, I believe I was supposed to include some comment I made about hating drool. In all honesty, I don’t remember the particular comment – I just hate drool. I’m sure you understand. Until next time....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The thing with the drool was brought up by Shannon's removal of wisdom teeth. When she heard she might drool, she informed us of the tramatic childhood experience of her sister drooling on her in her sleep. The reaction Shannon had to the drool topic was priceless!

Jorge'

Anonymous said...

Just to note... not only am I not doing Secret Santa because of so much going on with the wedding, but the Mrs. and I early on in our relationship made a promise to never gather trinkets and sit them around the house. So if I participate I am forced to receive trinkets, which then I must decide to keep or throw away. Anyone who knows me knows I hate to keep anything that I do not use regularly. Sooooo I would have to throw it away (also because of my agreement with the Mrs.) and possibly hurt someone's feelings.

-Ryan